The Janky Barge
The Janky Barge is a San Francisco based mutant vehicle which first appeared on the playa in 2007 as "Mr. Janky" before transforming into The Janky Barge for the 2009 burn.
- Mr. Janky's Playa Debut
- After an offseason build/rebuild The Janky Barge appears for the first time on playa
- Small changes, including an updated nose, made for Burning Man 2010
- New, outward facing amber LED system installed
- The Janky Barge 2.0 Debuts
- During the offseason the barge was fully stripped of all external cladding. The crew then added a new exterior skeleton before refinishing and reattaching exterior panels. At the same time the 2011 LEDs were removed and replaced by a new, fully addressable LED system powered by Teensy boards linked by Xbee radio modules. However, due to time and programming constraints, the top-deck LEDs were not functional at the time of the burn, and the Barge ran a rainbow test-pattern most of the week.
- Largely small, interior improvements
- Major power and sound upgrades were installed along with a slight update on the nose piece
- After ten years straight the crew decided to take a break and skipped Burning Man 2017
- The Janky Barge's triumphant return!
The Janky Barge is based on a 1995 Ford B800 chassis with a heavily modified Carpenter school bus body.